Monday, August 6, 2018

Incredibles 2

Dinner and a Movie

By Steve Herte

Incredibles 2 (Pixar/Walt Disney, 2018)  Director: Brad Bird. Writer: Brad Bird. Stars: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter & Sarah Vowell. Color, animated, Rated PG, 118 minutes.

Today’s animated features, as compared to yesterday’s cartoons are generally far superior and the genre is still evolving, thanks to computer technology. Granted, some companies insist on putting out flat, moving images with unnaturally big eyes and mouths that do not match the word shapes they’re saying, but they pale in realism to the three dimensional sophisticated images created recently. In The Incredibles 2, Pixar takes animation even closer to reality by using cinematic effects like a foggy, dark evening, camera angles from different viewpoints, such as the handlebars of a motorcycle and in-focus foreground/out of focus background to add credibility to the experience. Yes, the characters themselves defy human physiology, but that’s where the reality ends.

Too bad the main premise of the story is unoriginal. After a disastrous chase to capture the villain Underminer (John Ratzenberger) ends with his Jules Verne-like tunneling machine comes within inches of destroying City Hall, Bob Parr/Mr. Incredible (Craig T. Nelson) and his wife Helen/Elastigirl (Holly Hunter) are brought before Mayor (Barry Bostwick) and the city council and are told that an international agreement has been ratified to make Superheroes illegal and that they and their daughter Violet (Sarah Vowell) and son Dashiel/Dash (Huck Milner) and their good friend Lucius Best/Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) are forbidden to exercise their super powers to catch criminals. Didn’t the Avengers and the X-men experience similar prohibitions?


Then along comes Winston Deavor (Bob Odenkirk), a smooth-talking promoter of Superheroism and his sister Evelyn (Catherine Keener) who own and operate a high-tech corporation called “New Urbrem”. Winston wants to put superheroes back in the world’s good graces and take Helen under his wing, using his company’s vast utilities to make her a successful crime fighter. She meets other superheroes from around the globe such as Voyd (Sophia Bush) – a blue-haired valley-girl type who can create interdimensional holes, Krushauer/Helectrix (Phil LaMarr) – a burly Eastern European type who can crush major structures just by pinching his fingers together and Reflux (Paul Eiding) an elderly, pot-bellied man who can spew corrosive lava from his mouth (I laughed every time he did his thing). Helen’s first successful case was capturing Screenslaver (Bill Wise), a skeletal, masked hacker. 

Meanwhile, Bob is stuck taking care of three children. Violet accidentally unmasks herself to Tony Rydinger (Michael Bird), a boy she likes at school and Bob has Rick Dicker (Jonathan Banks) do a Men in Black mind erase on Tony. But Tony forgets he ever met Violet and that sets up a problem. When you have a son with super speed like Dash it’s really hard to keep up with him and avoid mischief. Add to that, baby Jack-Jack (Eli Fucile) is starting to demonstrate his super powers. We get to see six of them, but Bob later confesses to Helen that Jack-Jack has seventeen different powers. What we see are lasers projected from his eyes, a jet propulsion that rockets him into the air, a trans-morphing into a demon, a fiery flame ball when he’s angry, self-levitation and interdimensional travel. Needless to say this saps Bob’s super strength quickly.

Bob lets Jack-Jack stay with Edna Mode (Brad Bird), who gives him some solutions to caring for Jack-Jack. Edna’s character reminded me of Hetty Lange, played by Linda Hunt on NCIS Los Angeles with a little Bette Davis thrown in.

But Helen’s new fame is short lived, because as much as Winston wants to put superheroes back in favor, his sister Evelyn has developed special goggles to enslave all superheroes and put them out of business once and for all. 

I loved it. A sequel that outdid the original. I especially liked Eli Fucile’s baby sounds and the many ways the animators got Elastigirl to stretch and reform herself to accomplish her mission. I look forward to another Incredibles movie.

Fraunces Tavern
54 Pearl Street (Corner of Broad Street), New York
How the great have fallen! I’m beginning to believe in the theory of Devolution. I’ve witnessed restaurants devolving. Mars 2112 went from a great concept with good food to a kitchy family noise-box with badly maintained special effects and bad food. The 21 Club went from the place to be to the place to avoid. Tavern on the Green went from a class act to a tourist trap with food vastly inferior to the first incarnation. And now this.

Back when I first dined at Fraunces Tavern in the seventies, the décor was charming and comfortable, wing chairs and real draperies, all the charm of the eighteenth century. The food was excellent and the service gentile. I felt at home. That all changed in the nineties on my second visit. The wing chairs gave way to hard, wooden, uncomfortable Captain’s chairs. The food was still good, but some of the old-world charm was lost. Now all that’s left of the original 256 year old restaurant is the smell of antiquity, a scent you notice as you walk through the door on Pearl Street.

My lovely dining companion and I waited by the Captain’s station to be seated. I had requested a window table and we kind of got that. I could see out the window, but only me. We met our server, Sarah (a very nice colonial name) and ordered drinks. My friend ordered a regular iced tea and I, finding out that (once again) Beefeaters gin was not in stock, chose to have my martini made from gin they distill on site. It wasn’t the perfect martini, but it was better than if they had made it with those floral gins the general public like. The iced tea was served sugarless and was a little bitter. 

After Sarah told us the specials of the day we were left to peruse the rather large menu, in book form, bound in leather. We had both seen the menu online and my companion had a taste for Brussels sprouts. When Sarah returned we asked about them. That’s when Sarah discovered that my friend was reading the Lunch Menu, not the dinner menu. Not feeling as hungry as I, my friend ordered a main course and a side. I ordered my usual three course dinner. Sarah asked if two dishes should come out together and I told her no, space them out.

My Oysters on the Half Shell arrived first with a cocktail sauce, horseradish and a mignonette sauce. The Malpeques were good sized, tender and not too briny. I almost forgot to take a picture of the dish before they were finished. By that time I had decided on the wine. The 2016 “Chasing Lions” Cabernet Sauvignon was a good, almost full-bodied red that would be fine with my meal.

And then it happened. My appetizer, both main courses, and both side dishes were served at the same time. There was obviously no room on the table for this ridiculous amount of oversized dishes. Sarah must have heard me remonstrating with the server when he said, “It’s not my fault.” And I answered, “It’s somebody’s fault!” She removed my main course for later serving. The lame excuse was a computer problem. I was shocked. Computers neither take food orders nor cook nor serve food. People do.

The Scotch egg, a signature dish, had a crispy coating involving a three sausage blend, porter cheddar, dirty mustard and local honey. It was delicious, but for one egg sliced in half, the plate was three sizes too large.

The Pan Roasted Salmon was a crispy golden brown rectangle with shimeji mushrooms, dill-lemon crème fraîche, and Swiss chard. My friend had them remove the celeriac carrot purée. I tried it. I still don’t like salmon.


When my main dish was brought out a second time, the Filet Mignon sizzling on a Stone (volcanic, according to Sarah) with dirty rice with cherry tomatoes and pearl onions had three sauces; mustard, vinaigrette and chimichurri. The second steak looked a lot better than the first one, more searing on the outside. Inside it was perfect. I tasted all three sauces but only the chimichurri sauce seemed to go with the meat.

My friend’s Sautéed Market Vegetables was an attractive dish with cauliflower, carrots, broccoli rabe and sliced asparagus. All vegetables were good color, crisp and flavorful.  

The Mac and Cheese side retained its heat nicely and consisted of cappelletti (little hats), three cheeses (two were Fontina and cheddar) and topped with bread crumbs. It was well prepared, cheesy and the pasta was al dente. Not the best I’ve ever had but far from the worst.

There were two interesting desserts on the menu, so we ordered both. The Sticky Toffee Pudding with vanilla bean ice cream must have been great. I didn’t get a taste. The Meyer Lemon Tart with raspberry gelée and citrus berries was a crispy golden triangle of lemony refreshment. Very nice. I finished off with my usual double espresso and a glass of Jameson Irish whiskey.

Although everything worked out in the end food-wise, I will probably not return to Fraunces Tavern. I still get misty over the first visit. Seeing that once beautiful room now populated with bulky, heavy-looking long tables flanked by (obviously) church pews (they still had the slots on the backs for hymnals and prayer books) and the window tables not positioned correctly, was just too much. My lovely restaurant has devolved into a tourist family place.

For the Dinner and a Movie archive, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment