Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Great TiVo TCM Alert Debate


By Steve Herte

Curious about who would sway my opinion and entice me to see or not see a movie, I read five recent "We Disagree On" columns from Celluloid Club. What I discovered was two formidable writers with clearly expressed opinions. I'm proud to be a part of this website and consider this interaction a definite asset. Here are my findings:

Week of 10/8 – 10/14: What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?

Both Ed and Dave have good points in their arguments. Having heard Bette Davis deny the hatred but not the rivalry on an episode of “I’ve Got a Secret,” I can’t imagine why she would lie about a thing like that. I’m a fan of both actresses. I also thought both Davis and Joan Crawford gave wonderful performances – believing that you have to be a good actor to convince an audience that you’re crazy. I would give the win to Ed because I have trouble with the concept of Hollywood not wanting either star, even if they didn’t.

Week of 10/1 – 10/7: Doctor X

I don’t see too much disagreement on this film aside from Dave noting the inappropriateness of the jokes and the general silliness negatively affecting a serious horror movie. Since both seem to agree on the quality of the horror, the performances and Max Factor’s essential role, I would tend to agree with Dave’s point. I would however see the film because of their disagreement.

Week of 9/23 – 9/30: The Bitter Tea of General Yen

I clearly see Dave winning this debate. He had me at “Are you Kidding Me?” and then validated his opinion beautifully. He convinced me I do not have to see this one.

Week of 9/8 – 9/14: To Be or Not To Be

Now this is a good debate. The essential disagreement is in taste and comprehension. Both Dave and Ed acknowledge the movie as a comedy with funny moments. Ed praises it and Dave found it less than enjoyable. I would say this was a tie. Though curious about this movie, I would tend not to see it.

Week of 9/23 – 8/31: Rollerball

Another set of good opposing positions. Dave makes me want to see this movie and Ed makes me want to avoid it. Good efforts and another tie.

Good jobs, gentlemen (I know Ed, who came in?).

No comments:

Post a Comment